Pump maintenance for your water feature/fountain
20 May 2015 | Designer Water Features
The pump is the single most important piece of equipment in your water feature/fountain/pond. If it’s not working or working at reduced capacity, shut it off and remove it before cleaning the pump. Look for obstructions and other signs of wear about once a month.
- Remove leaves and other debris from the pump’s intake valve and housing. With the pump taken out of the fountain/ water feature, wipe it clean with a damp cloth. Use a brush to scrub hard-to-reach areas.
- Flush the pump and hose lines if they appear to be clogged.
- Replace filters or damaged components as necessary.
- Ensure that the pump is fully submerged in water
- If there are no plants or fish in your water feature / pond/ fountain place a lid full of house hold bleach in the water once a month to help keep algae at bay.This will help reduce algae getting clogged in the pump.